Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Le Cordon Bleu

It is official. Kelly has been accepted to the Western Culinary Institutes Le Cordon Bleu program in Portland, Oregon. The semester starts August 17th, with orientation starting on the 10th. We plan to leave on the 3rd or 4th.
The initial plan was to go to the school in Las Vegas, but I've been watching the job openings with Lowe's in my department and there have been several in the Portland area during the past few months, and no openings in all of Nevada. Just from that, I think I'll have a much better chance of transferring to Portland than to Vegas. I wanted to go to Vegas because I have my Aunt and Uncle there, but if I can't find work, we can't survive, with family or not.
The program is one year of classes, then a 3 month externship. Kelly is extremely excited about going, and can't stop talking about it. I'm so happy for him.
The school has a career placement service that has a 95% rate of employing graduates. The 5% that is excluded isn't because they couldn't be employed, they just continued their educations elsewhere or found a job through different means.

7 comments:

Marriott's said...

That is awesome for you guys. I am sad to see you move so far away. But it seems like it is for the best. Keep me posted if you need any help moving or anything.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Kelly!!! I hope you don't miss Sarah & Anni too much while you are away!! : )

La Rae

The Hendrys said...

I am happy for Kelly and selfishly sad for me. I will miss little Anna soooo much. Maybe by then she will have developed some memory of me and G/Grandpa, and not be a stranger to us, the next time she sees us. We will have to make her a picture book, so she can see the days she spent with us.
Addison, Josh, and Abigail hardly know us at all. I going to have to get Grandpa a puppy for sure now!! Having Anna around has postponed that need.

Mande Browning said...

Congratulations! I've heard amazing things about that school! Plus Portland is beautiful! As a former resident, here are some must sees for family (and date night) outings: 1st, The Japanese Garden, it's simply stunning. Don't be surprised if you spend over 2 hours in silence. Beautiful. 2nd, Powell's Bookstore, it's the world's largest new/used bookstore, so it's just awesome! 3rd, head out to the Oregon coast via Astoria. The ocean and beaches are amazing!!!

Don't be surprised if I come visit you up there, I really miss that area of the country.

*~*Linz*~* said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is so awesome! That school is very prestigious. Kind of sad that you'll be moving, but Portland is a great place! I'm so happy for you guys!

The Ryans said...

How exciting Kelly will be going to the same culinary school that Giada De Laurentiis from FN's Everyday Italian went(only she went in Paris). It will be fun to have a chef in the family but we will miss you guys. Follow your dreams :)
oxoxoxo Aunt Natalie

Lesa said...

yay :) that's awesome :) we'll come visit at least once. haha :)