Monday, May 5, 2008

Grand Opening is Officially Over

Well that was fun. The Grand Opening festivities lasted from Thursday to Sunday. I don't think I've ever seen so many people in a store at once. My entire nursery is just empty. I spent today calling my suppliers trying to get restocked from Mother's Day this Sunday. It's so frustrating to have to tell people that I'm out of product when we've only been open for a week. Half of my plants haven't even come in. I got a handful of trees this morning and a second shipment of shrubs. They apparently didn't get my fax with the changes I wanted to make because I now have 120 1 gal arborvitae, 80 5 gal arborvitae, and more junipers than will ever sell. I don't have any burning bushes or lilacs and barely any barberries. No raspberries to speak of either, but 56 pots of blueberries that won't grow here. My department is understaffed, as is the front line for cashiers, so I spent most of my time at a register. My poor plants are being neglected because we don't have the manpower to water them, help customers, and run 4 registers. I only have 4 people, including myself, to cover the whole outdoor department for 7 days a week and 16 hours a day. The senior managers have been spending a lot of time at registers and doing cart runs to try to compensate for what the other departments are lacking too. Supposedly I have 2 part time waterers that are in orientation tonight and will hopefully be ready to go by the end of the week.
The baby is making it harder to do the things I need to. I have to send other people to help a lot of customers because I can't lift the paver stones over and over. One or two isn't an issue, but when they want 50 of them, I can't do it. It's getting hard to stand all day, my feet and lower back hurt really bad by the end of the day. She spent all of today on my Sciatic nerve, so I've been hobbling around trying to ignore it.
Anyway, on a more pleasant note, I do actually really enjoy my job and I like the people I work with. I don't have to babysit them, and I can give them a list of things that need to be done and I know they'll get done if it's at all possible. This past weekend it was just physically impossible to get anything done.

1 comment:

The Hendrys said...

If you are getting stuff from your suppliers, that you haven't ordered or isn't the correct thing. Someone needs to let them know you are not happy with them; it is a dog eat dog world, and if they want to keep Lowes contract they should get it right. Maybe when you send a fax you should make a quick phone call to comfrim they received it and verify the changes with them; and above all get a name of who you talked to, just a little CYA.