Thursday, July 3, 2008

Work and Baby Update

I worked the first of my early morning, 6 hour shifts today. I can't believe the difference a few hours makes. I've been working from 9 to 6 for the past month, then this week Scott cut me down to 9 to 4 because I kept throwing up at work, but I was still getting really tired and sick. Today's shift was from 6 to 1. It wasn't hot, so I could work outside and actually get things done. I didn't feel sick at all, and much less tired than I normally do. The only problem is that Lowe's requires a half hour lunch on shifts over 6 hours and an hour lunch with any shift over 7 hours. I should be okay if I just remember to take something light with me so I can eat in the break room and to keep my time under 7 hours. Six hours just isn't enough time to get everything done that needs to be done though!
Today's issue was from one of the vendors. They dropped a shipment off outside the gate last night. When I got in this morning, we checked it and received it. We had to reject over half of the plants. They were heat burned and disgustingly moldy. I think the driver had turned off the refrigeration to save on gas. (He was coming from Oregon.) So I spent most of my day dealing with that, then receiving another plant truck that came in.
The girls at work are convinced that I'm going to go into labor any day. Apparently the baby has started to drop. I didn't really notice, except I couldn't bend over far enough to put my shoes on, but the receiving girls and head cashiers were having a fit about it yesterday. I think they may be more excited than I am. There seems to be two groups of "baby followers:" the ones that come up and play with my belly every time they see me, and the ones that ask me about it a lot, but are terrified to touch my stomach. They're fine with smacking my arm or patting me on the back, but won't do more than barely touch my belly. It's actually a little weirder than the ones that poke and prod, because I'm used to that. Women with children of their own make up most of the "play with the belly" group, and a few guys and the girls without kids the "safe distance" group.
We're slowly getting things ready for the baby. Most of the clothes are washed and the room is being slowly organized. I've been doing most of it myself because every time Kelly walks into that room he gets kind of googly eyed and starts playing with stuff. I caught him in the act with the soft front carrier. We can't use it until she can hold her head up on her own, but he was bound and determined to test it out.
The baby shower is going to be interesting. He doesn't usually get giggly and excited about things in front of anyone but me, but with all the cute baby stuff for our little one there, it may be too much for him to contain.

1 comment:

The Hendrys said...

I talked to Aunt Natalie about the shower today and she was't to happy about me calling your mom about the guest list. I did miss count I thought I had 2 packs of 10 invitation plus a few extra's when I mailed them there were 22 including Sarah Amy and Megan. I hope I didn't miss anyone, but they are in the mail now, this is what happens when they leave me alone to mess thing up.