Saturday, January 5, 2008

Big Changes

We bought the plane tickets to go out to Minnesota for the recruiting weekend. I had changed my mind about going and had left of message with Dr. Watkins (the guy I'd be working directly with) asking him to call me when he got back from winter break because I had some questions about the program. He called on Thursday morning while i was at work. I didn't say anything about not going, but instead asked him how much of the program would be genetics and how much would be plant breeding.
He told me the program would be whatever I wanted it to be. They are going to tailor my next 2 years to whatever I want to focus on, so turfgrass production, breeding, and management.
He's planning on picking us up from the airport and taking his Saturday to personally show us around town and take us to dinner. I sat there in my cubicle with a dumb look on my face.
From what I interpreted, I'm the only student they had on the line for this program. That, or I'm the favorite. He said he already had a student or two focusing on the genetics side of it, so he wanted me there because I have a strong background in Horticulture and turf. I guess all the technology in the world will only get you so far if no one except the professor can actually make the turf grow and take care of it. I told him I had just completed a genetics course at USU and had hated it. He laughed and told me not to worry about that at all.
I told Dr. Watkins about the baby and asked if he thought I could do the program with a newborn (his wife had a baby in November) and he said it wouldn't be a problem. I told him that Kelly was planning to stay home with the baby so I could focus on school and my research and he said that would make it even easier. He seemed pretty happy that Kelly was being so supportive and letting me focus on my education. He was a little concerned about me missing those few weeks in August after the baby comes, but he said we could definitely make it work.
I maybe shouldn't have said anything about it, but didn't want to waste his time if there was just no way it would work.
Seems my crazy pregnancy hormones got the best of me and almost made me miss out on an amazing opportunity. I'm still terrified to be that far away from both our families with an infant, but it's only a 2 hour and 45 minute flight to Minneapolis from Salt Lake or a 20 hour drive. It's only for 2 years, which isn't that long, and we'll come home as much as we can.
I'm hoping that as the baby gets older and a little easier to take care of Kelly will get the chance to go back to school too or to at least get his contractor's license.

4 comments:

Mande Browning said...

Oh, Sarah! Please don't blame the prego-hormones for your logical thinking! I think that it's great that you're going to Minnesota to get a feel for things. Dress warm and be safe!

The Hendrys said...

Just remember while you are there, you are only a daily blog away; and we will keep you posted and try to answer any of your baby questions. Congratulation's sweetie, imagine beauty and a brains. Kelly is sooo lucky.

Granny

Unknown said...

Between the 2 of you, i'm sure you can make it work ;) You'll do great!

The Hendrys said...

I see it started out below zero in Logan today, you poor babies have not had a chance to thaw out. Did you bring a piece of that Minnesota weather back with you?